Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Really Hard Decision

For those of you who don't know, for the past 6-8 weeks or so we have been having a lot of trouble with our little Kitty Cat Zoey. She started out having a little trouble hitting her litter box and then we noticed that she was kind of "leaking", so I took her into the vet for a checkup thinking that maybe she had a bladder infection.

The vet confirmed that she did indeed have a little infection and we put her on some medicine. Well after a week of being on meds she wasn't getting any better, in fact she was leaking even more. (now to the point where she was leaving little puddles when she laid down)

So I took her back to the vet and they gave me some pills thinking that maybe she wasn't getting enough medicine with the liquid. (pills were no easy task either) So we were told to try that for a week and if that didn't work we may need to take her to a specialist to see what was going on.

So we tried the pills, and then of coarse from being at the vet so much she picked up a cold, poor thing, (which of coarse she gave to Sammy)

After a while we realized that nothing was working so I took her to the STL Cat Clinic to see a specialist. The news was unfortunately not what I wanted to hear.

The Vet told me that my little Zo Zo has Spine Abifida and that there was nothing we could do for her as far a the leaking goes. (she also was beginning to get little sores from the constant issues)

So Joe and I had to make the VERY difficult decision to find her a new home. We had to do what was best, health wise, for everyone. We just cannot bring a new baby home to a house where the cat is constantly leaking urine all over. Plus, we would not be able to care for her in the way she needs to live a healthy happy life.

We took her back to the facility where we got her. The St. Charles Humane Society. I swear those people are angels. It is a no kill shelter where they also adopt out the animals. I am quite certain that they will give her the best care she could possibly get. And as it turns out, her Mom is still there so maybe she'll remember her :)

We took her on Saturday, which did NOT go well for me or Joe. It breaks my heart to have to give her up but I know that this is what is best for her, and us. I sincerely hope that this is harder on me than it is on her because this has NOT been easy.

I miss my little girl and I hope that she will be happy there soon. We are going to be constantly checking up on her and seeing how she is doing and even though they don't really want you to visit them so they don't get sad, I don't think I will be able to help myself. (I will just have to wait a little while.) We are also going to donate money to sponsor her so that they have the means to buy a new facility when they have enough money. I hope it will be soon.

Sam has been a little confused, but he is very happy to have mom and dad all to himself again.

I still miss my little one though. :(

No comments: